Mel’s 30 minute Frito Pie
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 30 min
1 bag of Frito lay scoops
1lb of plant based ground meat
1 tbsp of taco seasoning
1 can of vegetarian beans
1 cup of diced tomatoes
1 can of green chilies
1 cup of Daiya vegan shredded cheese
1 tsp of non-dairy sour cream
1 can of non-bean chili
1/2 cup of chives for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a cast iron skillet, spray with non-stick spray and pour the bag of frito-lay scoops inside.
- In a separate pot, turn stove on med-high and spray with non-stick spray (I prefer olive oil brand), add in the 1lb of plant based ground meat and mix taco seasoning.
- As the meat begins to brown, add in your vegetarian beans, non-bean chili, diced tomatoes, and green chilies. Let cook down for about 5-7 min.
- Turn off stove, and begin to layer your chips with the meat-bean mixture and Diaya vegan cheese.
- I layer my chips with the cheese first, then the meat, more cheese, and repeat until its to the top and the last layer is the shredded cheese. (You can also use queso for a more liquidy consistency)
- Once layering is complete, place the cast-iron skillet in the oven and allow to bake until the cheese is fully melted with a slight brown coat.
- Remove from oven, let cool down and top with the sour cream, jalapenos, and chives. Enjoy!