Mel’s Fried Catfish
Prep Time: 25 mins.
Cook Time: 60 mins.
Total Time: 1 hour 25 mins
- Vegetable oil, for frying (pan) or deep fryer
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1½ tablespoons of Zatarain’s Creole Mustard
- 1 cup of lemon juice
- 1½ pounds catfish fillets
- ¾ cups of Zatarain’s fish fry
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (viewers discretion)
- 1 teaspoon of Louisiana hot sauce
- Pour oil into a deep heavy skillet, filling no more than ⅓ full. Heat on medium-high heat to 375°F.
- Mix milk, Creole mustard, and lemon juice in a shallow dish. Dip fish into the egg mixture, then coat with fish-fry, cayenne pepper, and Louisiana hot sauce. Carefully add to hot oil, a few pieces at a time and fry 7 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and garnish with paprika.